Wednesday, April 4, 2012

What's In It For Me?


Let’s face it.

No matter how “evolved” we want to consider ourselves, all of us are still susceptible to succumbing to our primitive nature. The subconscious mantra of self-preservation is always playing quietly in the back of our heads, and no matter what situation arises, we always ask ourselves;

“What’s in it for me?” 

That question drives almost every decision we make. From the moment we wake up in the morning until going to bed at night, “What’s in it for me”, comes to the forefront every time.

These five words determine what to wear, what to eat, what people to hang around with, what movie to watch, so on and so forth. These simple words help us to evaluate the risk vs. reward in every situation that arises: do you dare walk across that fallen log, do you try to make that traffic light, do you ask for a raise, do you ask her out, do you find a new job, do I go on with these examples, do I write this blog post?

“What’s in it for me” is not always about stuff either. The satisfaction we feel by donating to charity, or volunteering at a soup kitchen. We are often motivated to do things for the feelings of pride, compassion, sharing, safety, security, thrill, and excitement as we are for material goods or financial compensation.

I recently read an article that really got my attention. It was titled, “Is your blog boring?, and it got me to thinking. What do people really want to know about interior design, or any design medium? What do they care about, what are they interested in, “What’s in it for them? – you, the audience.

So, in today’s post, I’m turning the tables around to “What’s in it for me” which, in the end, will ultimately be “what’s in it for you”. I’m asking you for information, and I would love to get some feedback on this. Where would we be without our comments on Internet articles, after all?

I want to get some emotion, some thoughts, and some opinions other than my own on my blog. More importantly though, I need to know my audience, and I need to know what they want. What is in this blog for my readers?

At the urging of another writer, I began this blog as a way to reach out to people, because without people, I have no business. I have so much knowledge I want to share and be your inspiration for interior design, fashion design and life design--. But I also realize that some of it may be a bit, for lack of a better word, boring to those who didn’t grow up studying the works of Frank Lloyd Wright or Christian Dior.

So, what do you want to read about?  What do you like? What do want to know about in interior design, art, architecture, your home, your environment, and how these things can help you live happy and successful lives?
Inquiring minds want to know.
What’s In It For Me?



No comments:

Post a Comment